Welcome to the thrilling world of public relations agencies, where no day is the same! Agency life can be fast-paced, competitive and stressful, but it’s also exciting, fun and unlike anything else. To prepare you for the exciting journey ahead, here’s a list of what to expect from your first agency job:
- Work hard and do your best. Congrats! You’ve made it past the interview and landed the job, but now it’s time to prove to your company that you are the right person for the position. As a new employee, you should be eager and excited to start your journey in PR. You are expected to work hard, do your best and prove you want to be here. Taking initiative and volunteering to help out on projects will show that you are enthusiastic and deserve to be here.
- You’ll wear several hats and work on many different accounts. Agency life means you will be working on a number of different clients, in many different roles, in order to help meet client’s goals. You will become an expert in industries you never imagined you’d work in. Step up to the plate when and where you’re needed. Not only will it benefit your clients, but you’ll show your coworkers that you are a reliable teammate.
- Coworkers will want to answer your questions. Your team expects you to not know everything. They will encourage you to ask questions so you can learn and do your job correctly the first time. Asking questions shows that you are interested and eager to work. Make sure you get the answers you need so that you understand their expectations.
- It will be challenging at times. Agency life is no joke. It can be a stressful, hectic work environment, but the experiences, the clients, and the team are what you will remember. The challenging experiences allow you to grow as a professional and give you a thick skin, which you will need in the world of public relations.
- It will be extremely rewarding. Agency life is one of the most fulfilling experiences you can have. From the clients you get to work with, the skills you take away and the networking opportunities, public relations is a rewarding industry. You get to see your hard work come to life while forming relationships with clients and team members that will be valuable for your career.
- There will be an adjustment period. It will take time for you to be comfortable in your new environment, your clients and your teammates. Take advantage of all opportunities your agency has to offer. Whether good or bad, the more experiences you embrace, the more comfortable you will be at the agency, which in turn will allow you to produce better work. Don’t let your fears get in the way of your career.
Whether you are fresh out of college and starting your first real job or looking for a dynamic, fast-paced, collaborative environment, agency life is a one-of-a-kind work experience where you’ll be able to develop your career and grow (both professionally and personally).