One of the most effective and fastest growing social media phenoms sweeping the world is the animated GIF. They are all over social media and they’re growing. Why? They’re magnetic.
According to eMarketer, photos are shared 83 percent more often in social media than any other form of content. And Joe Puglisi, Director of Creative Strategy at Buzzfeed, said “if a picture is worth 1,000 words, a GIF is worth 10,000”.
You’re probably using animated GIFs, but if you’re not, you should be. Most major brands are using them now in their social campaigns because they improve attraction, engagement and share-ability. Animated GIFs will elevate your social marketing by:
- Promoting your brand personality, cleverness and insights
- Telling a complex story in a clear, concise format
- Teaching your audience how to do something, make something or learn about something
- Launching new products and services
- Attracting customers to trade shows or other special events
With GIPHY, it is easy to take existing video content and turn it into snippets that perform better on social media. While linking a YouTube video on Facebook and Twitter does embed the video player in users’ feeds, it requires two-clicks to play the video. Both networks though do have autoplay enabled for GIFS, allowing for a more engaging visual even before the user clicks into the content of your post. Below is an example of how we utilized a GIF for our client Bosch Thermotechnology, rather than using Twitter’s inline YouTube embed:
— BoschHeatingCooling (@BoschHVAC) May 5, 2016
Here’s how simple it is to create your own GIFs from existing video sources:
- Find the video you would like to use. It can be on your computer or already existent on YouTube, Vimeo, Vine, your website or elsewhere.
- Visit the GIPHY Gifmaker and copy/paste the link from Step 1 into the box.
- Choose the start and end time of the clip you would like to turn into a GIF.
- If you would like text added to your GIF, enter it under “Caption”.
- Enter keywords so others can find your soon-to-be-created GIF in Giphy’s search tool.
- Click “create”!
Once you’ve created your new GIF, you can use GIPHY’s built in tools to embed onto your website, save it to your desktop or share to your favorite social networks. We recommend utilizing their “URL shortener redirect” tool to direct users to your source video, ensuring the full piece of content has been viewed.
If you need more creative content ideas for your social media or public relations programs, let us know— Tech Image would love to help.