Media Relations Associate
Tech Image, PR News’ 2016 Digital PR Firm of the Year and winner of the 2016 Media Relations Campaign of the Year, is expanding, adding a Media Relations Associate to the team in Chicago. A subsidiary of SmithBucklin, a 100% employee-owned association management company, Tech Image uses the latest digital PR strategies to support a growing client roster comprising various industries – from construction and power tool to software/technology and consumer/fitness. This is an exciting opportunity for entry-level candidates looking to make an immediate impact, with the opportunity to see rapid career progression not typically found at a larger agency.
What You Will Do
- Work collaboratively with clients and the internal team to craft pitches that are both strategic and creative
- Develop media lists (traditional, social, digital influencers) for specific projects and pitch client stories for placement opportunities
- Conduct keyword research and make keyword recommendations to guide word choices for press releases and other content
- Establish and maintain long-term relationships with key media contacts
- Facilitate interviews between journalists and client subject matter experts
- Provide PR counsel to both clients and internal team members as required
- Manage monthly reporting and create presentations for client meetings/end of month reports
- Research and assist in preparations for new business meetings
This Role Might Be for You If…
- You have an interest in new digital media and technologies
- You want to work in a creative environment that encourages you to share your ideas openly and make an immediate impact on the business
- You want a company that supports your continued development by encouraging you to attend relevant events and trainings
- You are forward-thinking with a positive, upbeat attitude and a high degree of energy
- You exhibit a high level of detail on projects and are able to work both autonomously and collaboratively
- You thrive in a fast-paced, deadline-driven, multi-client environment
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year institution, with a concentration in English, Journalism, Communications, Marketing or other relevant degree
- 0-2 years of relevant professional experience in media relations, corporate marketing, public relations or journalism
- Previous agency experience is highly preferred
- For entry-level candidates, previous internship experience is highly preferred
- Experience supporting media relations in the following sectors is a plus: Construction/Tools, Software/Technology, Consumer/Fitness and/or Regulatory/Government Affairs
- Knowledge or experience in interactive account management and coordination, media relations, social media and PR campaign strategy and execution
- Experience with traditional, digital and social media platforms
- Proficiency in Associated Press (AP) writing style
- Proficiency with basic computer programming, including the Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook)
Where Do You Fit?
Whether you are just beginning your career or are a mid- or senior-level professional, working at SmithBucklin will offer you countless opportunities to develop transferrable skills, acquire meaningful knowledge and gain rich experiences at an accelerated pace. By working collaboratively with smart, ambitious, multi-talented, genuine and hardworking colleagues, you will build meaningful, deep and enduring relationships that will serve you well throughout your career, regardless of your chosen path. In addition, as a 100 percent employee-owned company, SmithBucklin offers all of our people – regardless of position or compensation – an equal chance to experience the fulfillment and reap the benefits of ownership. As owners, our employees control the destiny of SmithBucklin and are unified in the goal of building a great, enduring company.
Equal Employment Opportunity
At SmithBucklin Corporation, Equal Employment Opportunity is our commitment and goal. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, gender, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, marital status or any other protected status designated by federal, state or local law. Applicants are encouraged to confidentially self-identify when applying. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a reference and background investigation based on position.